Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Recovery

rockbottomThe last time I posted I was feeling like I was at the bottom of a well with dirt being shoveled in on top of me. As you read, it seemed that everything was falling apart at once and that, combined with my hectic schedule, left me completely physically and emotionally drained.

At one point, after the third item in a half hour had broken, I turned to Wanda and asked, “Did God just suddenly decide that He hates Daryl Fulp?” Well, almost immediately I realized how wrong I was to even think such a thought, and I asked for both God’s and Wanda’s forgiveness. In reality, God has poured His love out on me abundantly and I never have a right to complain.

That evening, after yet another emergency had required my attention, I wrote my last blog post and then went to bed and had my first eight-hour sleep in weeks. When I woke-up, the first item on my agenda was some extended time alone with God. As always, as soon as I quieted myself before Him I felt His peace and love surround me. And then I heard Him speak, and the conversation went something like this:

god-talking-300x225

God: Daryl, yesterday you thought I hated you.

Me: Yes, Dad, and I am sorry for doubting your love.

God: Do you know why I allowed everything to fall apart on you, including your own emotions?

Me: No.

God: You know I have been inviting you to step aside with me so we can spend some extra time together, don’t you?

Me: (Starting to see where this was going) Yes.

God: But you didn’t accept my invitation did you?

Me: (Ashamed) No.

God: Do you think you would be here now if all of those things had not gone wrong?

Me: (Even more ashamed) No.

God: Well, there you go. I loved you too much to let things keep going right. Now, lets be together and I will give you what you need.

Feel free to send comments regarding my stupidity and thick-headedness to daryl@hopeforhome.org. Even a young believer should not have found himself in this predicaments, much less someone who has known Jesus for 30 years like me.

So, together God and I made some agreements. First, He reminded me that He does the work, not me. So, I committed to stop feeling like I have to be a super hero in every situation. I also agreed with God that I could take some time off, knowing that He should be able to handle things without me. And then I rearranged my daily schedule so that extended time with Him comes first and everything else comes later.

flu-manFinally, just to seal the deal, God gave me a nasty case of stomach flu that put me down for Saturday and Sunday…just to make sure that I got the rest that I needed. (Sorry, I didn’t have a picture of me while I was sick, so I used one I had of Dick Rutgers. I think this one was taken when he was in our home recovering from his prostate surgery. He looks a little better now.) So, the weekend passed as a blur while Wanda and the kids stepped up to lead the visiting team from the States.

IMG00508-20120227-1235By Monday I was almost back to normal (at least normal for me) and I resumed leading the group. We spent time at Hermano Pedro and took a group out to eat. Each of the team members connected with a couple of the kids and we all had a great time.

On Tuesday we headed out to El Progresso (in Bob Ecklebarger’s X-Terra, because my 4-Runner is still in the shop). We had a great day as a team as we visited with nine families, using some of our recently donated medical supplies, providing medication and food, and simply visiting and praying with people.

IMG00520-20120228-1306I am happy to say that every one of our the people with which we work now has a sponsor! This week I received notice of a sponsor for Jorge’s medication (from El Progreso) which rounded out the list. This is a wonderful answer to prayer and a testimony to the generous, giving spirit of those of you who read this blog. Thank you! Jorge and his family still need your prayers, though, so please keep reading below. God is faithful.

Here are a few prayer requests for which I would appreciate your intercession:

  1. The 4-Runner – I have had it in to my normal mechanic, Ali, three times for him to repair a gas leak. Each time it has come back still leaking. So, when I realized that my battery was draining, I decided to try a different mechanic. After four days of working on it, he still has not found the source of either problem. As Dick says, “You can pay a little for a lousy mechanic or you can pay a lot for a lousy mechanic.” I plan on taking it to a third mechanic. Please pray that he finds and fixes the problems.
  2. Marta – We have been treating the circulation sore on her leg for about four months now. We have seen some progress, but she has had a couple of bouts with infection that has set her back in the healing process. We visited yesterday and applied Una-Boot that was delivered by the current team. Please pray that infection stays away, that healthy tissue will grow in, and that the healing will be complete.
  3. Jorge’s Family – As mentioned above, he now has a sponsor to assist his family with the $400 a month bill for medicines, and that is a significant praise. The challenge for the family comes in the form of a motorcycle wreck that his father was in two months ago. He severely broke his leg, requiring surgery and a long recuperation. This has kept him away from his work as a mechanic and has further strained the family’s finances. Please pray for God’s provision for them and for a speedy healing of his leg.
  4. My Priorities – As my recent testimony shows, I often lack wisdom in my personal life. I sometimes fail to guard the most important things and, instead, cave to the immediate and urgent. Please pray that I will learn my lesson well and not allow myself to be compromised again.

That’s all for now! Have a great evening!

Daryl, Wanda and the Crew

Here are a few pics of our current team in action:

IMG00476-20120222-1359IMG00501-20120227-0956

IMG00516-20120227-1336IMG00518-20120229-1031IMG00517-20120227-1340