Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The View from the Sofa

As I type this, I am sitting on a love seat in my bedroom with my right foot elevated. My makeshift office is composed of a crayon-covered folding table (Thanks, Yenni.), a backpack filled with paperwork, and cords and chargers surrounding me. From this position I have been juggling emails, text messages and phone calls and trying not to go stir-crazy.
 
This forced exile was triggered by an unnoticed event about three weeks ago. I received a blow to my shin that I do not even remember receiving. But some time later I noticed pain when I walked. It was at that point that I noticed a bruise and cut and assumed it would pass. However, over time the pain grew and spread down my leg to the point that I finally consulted my doctor.
 
He assumed it was a blood clot and sent me to the city for a sonogram. That test showed that I did not have a blood clot, but the doctor informed me that I did have an infection which he began to treat with antibiotics. Within a few days the infection was gone, but the pain and swelling was still present. 
 
I don't understand it all, but apparently my original injury and infection led to swelling which restricted blood flow. This restricted blood flow led to more swelling, which created an ugly cycle. So the doctor told me to get off my leg and elevate it. And I did...kinda. Except for some family visits. And wheelchair work. And a long day trip to Guastatoya. And a few other exceptions. Basically, I ignored him and continued working.
 
Then on Saturday night my doctor took me to the woodshed and explained that if I did not get off my leg and elevate it, it was going to continue to worsen. And that led to my self-imposed exile.
 
So, here I sit with my leg up and watching work stack up. In the last two days we have received two application for new wheelchairs and three for monthly assistance, some of which are critical. Meanwhile, I have juggled emails, phone calls and texts which are greatly increasing my to-do list for when I am back on my feet.
 
Feeling sorry for me yet? Of course not. And I wouldn't either. I am just lying in the bed I made. Or love seat. Whatever.
 
Speaking of wheelchairs, we have been quite overwhelmed by children and adults in need of wheelchairs. We are currently on track to give away more wheelchairs in 2016 by the end of April than in any other year combined. Yep, you read that right. Praise God, we received a large donation of wheelchairs from Vine International in December as well as a large financial donation to purchase chairs. So everyone is being covered.
 
About three weeks ago, I found myself staring at 18 applications for wheelchairs and feeling overwhelmed. So I took several hours one day to go to our bodega (storage building) and pull out every chair to inventory and try to match with applications. It was a rather large task, but I enjoyed the work.
 
At the end of the day, I found wheelchairs for all but three children. And I knew those three would be tough. Each of these little ones had severe special needs and needed chairs that are hard to find. I normally see about one or two of these chairs come through a year, so I was concerned about finding three. But I prayed.
 
On Saturday of that week we welcomed a team from Liberty Baptist Church in Texas. They brought four wheelchairs with them that were donated. Dale picked them up from the airport and dropped the chairs off at the bodega. I did not have a chance to go see them until Thursday of the following week.
 
What do you think I found? Yep! Three of those four chairs were exactly the types and sizes that I needed! This was miraculous. I would have been delighted and surprised to find one of the chairs I needed, but to find three left me wiping tears of joy and gratitude!
 
I have spent a lot of time delivering wheelchairs recently. And when I am healthy again, I have a lot more to deliver. So instead of writing more words and boring you, I am going to share some pictures of people receiving their new chairs. And I want to remind you that it is because of the prayers and support of many of you that these people now have mobility and the awareness that they are not alone. Thank you!
 
 
Jeremiah and me with the custom built chair for Nancy in Quichè.

The team from Liberty Baptist Church in Texas
with Iulian and his new ride.

Maria and her mom show off her new wheelchair.

Jean in Guastatoya relaxed into his new chair and promptly fell asleep.

Angel had been using a poorly fitting stroller
that left him uncomfortable, but not anymore.

Mariam has grown into a young woman
and now has a new chair that fits.

Olga's old chair was hit and crushed by a tuk tuk.
Now she no longer has to crawl.
Blessings and thanks from Guatemala!
Daryl, Wanda and the Crew