Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Miracles and Puny Faith

10476340_10204356435538694_7185888496500595857_oLast night, after around six weeks of waiting for the courts to do their job, we finally received little Ruavis (pronounced Roo-ah-bi) into our home. I have come to expect delays when dealing with the courts, but this time it really bothered me. From the first day we saw his picture and read his story I have felt an urgency to get him into our home. So when they called yesterday morning to tell us they were bringing him, I was overjoyed. And when they called backed later to tell us that they could not bring him due to problems with scheduling, I quickly made arrangements for Manuel and Gerardo to go take care of the paperwork and bring him home.

The moment I saw him I understood the urgency I had been feeling for the last month-and-a-half. Ruavis was in a nearly constant state of seizing with his eyes rolled completely back in his head. In addition, he was suffering from full-body muscle spasms that would bend his head and shoulders extremely far backward. And each time he would spasm he would cry out in pain.

RuavisWe quickly discovered that he was also covered with lice, so we prepped him to shave his head and give a lice treatment while I consulted the few medical notes that came with him. Almost immediately I realized that he was way under-medicated for child of his age (13 months) and weight. However, our neurologist was not available as it was evening hours. So, after praying for wisdom and consulting dosage guides, I made the decision to double his seizure medication. I still felt this was not enough, but wanted to be conservative to assure that we did not over-medicate him.

Shortly after giving him the increased dosage his seizures stopped and his spasms lessened. Then the exhausted little guy fell asleep. He slept peacefully until around 2:30 am when he awoke with spasms again.

In the midst of caring for Ruavis last night I was overwhelmed with a very foolish fear. Seeing the severe neurological needs of this little boy, I began to realize how much his care was going to cost. (Relax, this is not a plea for money. We don’t do that.) I began to total up the cost of the neurologist, MRI, EEG and general anesthetic that will be required for testing and I was overwhelmed with fear. The total quickly reached over $400.00 without including the incidentals of travel expenses for the appointments and test. And this was only for neurological assessments. And I felt afraid. (Please don’t write to tell me how foolish I am or how small my faith is. It is not necessary. I already know.)

I then went to my computer to send out a prayer request for Ruavis via Facebook. But as I sat down at my computer I heard a ding telling me that I had received an e-mail. So, I clicked on Outlook and saw that we had received a donation via Paypal. The amount was (care to guess?) $462.00. And I heard God whisper, “Daryl, when will you ever learn to trust me?” I cried tears of joy and repentance.

This morning we called our neurologist as soon as his office was open. We could not get in for an appointment until tomorrow, but the doctor listened to the situation and the current medicines and doses, and he immediately ordered us to increase the dosage to more than double my doubled dosage. He also added another type of anti-seizure med. Since we administered these increased meds, he has been sleeping peacefully. I praise God that this little exhausted guy has finally gotten some relief and much needed sleep.

SAM_3014Last night, in the midst of the chaos, Brittney and I were working together with Ruavis. She suddenly looked up at me and said, “I am so glad that we decided to take him!” And when she did, my heart swelled with pride for her. Here we were, dealing with a seizing child that was arching backward and screaming, and she was happy that he was with us. Many people would regret the decision to accept him into our home instead of rejoicing that we did. But Brittney understands a basic truth of ministry…it is not about us. It is not about seeking the easy path or a comfortable resting place. It is about Jesus Christ and His love for the world that He died to save. She was glad that we accepted Ruavis, not because it was easy, but because he needed us…and our comfort was not important.

Last night was about God’s love for Ruavis and the role we are allowed to play in that love story. Face it, the hardest times in life are usually the most significant ones in God’s story. So, from 3:30 am until almost 8:00 am Brittney held and comforted this precious little focus of God’s love. Tonight I will take that responsibility and privilege.

Once again we are feeling God fill us with love overflowing for another little one. And I stand in awe and humility that He allows us to play a role in this incredible story that He is writing.

Likely we will be receiving another little guy into our home next week. We have said yes to little Humberto from the malnutrition center Casa Jackson. With his addition we will have 12 children, six boys and six girls, and our home will be full. We just have no more room and no more man hours to give. We are stretched to the max. But that will not make it any easier to turn away children. I am so glad for the 14 children that we have said yes to (two are now with Jesus), but I ache knowing there are so many more Ruavis, Humbertos, Alejandros, Yenifers, Christians, etc. out there that need a home and love.

So let me get real direct here. I need your help in one of two ways. Please, please, please read these and take them seriously:

  1. If you love children with special needs and are feeling called to work with them, please contact me and pray about joining us here in Guatemala. We are praying and trusting God for nine more homes based on this model, but we need the people who will be parents and leaders within these homes. Does this scare you? Good. It scared me to death when I began to hear God’s call to come here and do this work. I can’t promise you it will be easy, because it won’t. But I can promise you that we will walk with you through it all and help you every step of the way. And I can promise you that God is faithful to those who follow His calling.
  2. If you are sure that God is not calling you, then please pray that He will raise up others. I mean this. I beg you. Please pray frequently and fervently that God will call people and give a kick to those who have been called but are not responding. Pray that God will give us workers. Please. I write this with tears in my eyes out of desperation to see more homes opened and more children loved with the arms of Jesus.

This morning I dropped Wanda off at the airport. She is flying to the States until Sunday to be home for our daughter, Teisha’s, wedding. I will follow her on Thursday and fly back with her on Sunday as well. Please pray for our home over the next five days as others step up to fill the huge gap that Wanda leaves and then the gap I will leave. This is especially true of our older children, Brittney, Krishauna, Taryn and Jeremiah. Please pray for strength and wisdom for them. Also pray for health in the home during our absence.

Thanks! Blessings from Guatemala!

Daryl, Wanda and the Crew