Monday, April 2, 2012

Trapped by Alfombras

DSCF6917As I write this my neighbors are busily cleaning the street in front of their homes. Tomorrow morning at 10:00 am our town will have the largest Catholic procession of the year to celebrate Easter. As a result, in about two hours the street in front of our home will be shut down until tomorrow noon as many of the Catholic households will lay alfombras in the street, trapping us in our home. (The photo to the right is one taken last year from our rooftop.

DSCF6911An alfombra is a decorative carpet made of colored sawdust, pine needles, flowers and/or fruit. As the procession comes through, people will walk on each side of them until the float carrying Jesus comes through. Those carrying that float will walk through the alfombra, messing it up. Usually there is a crowd of children following closely behind the end of the procession who rush up and pick-up the fruit.

We are surrounded by religion here. Almost everyone here professes belief in Jesus Christ, but very few reflect that belief in in the way they live. In many cases, Jesus serves much like a lucky rabbit’s foot. You hang his image in your store or Tuk Tuk or name your business after Him, and in return He will bless you and keep you safe…or so many believe. One day my normal barber shop was closed, so I went to another one down the street. As I sat waiting my turn, I was confronted by a picture of Jesus hanging on the wall with dozens of bikini model photos hanging around Him. The name and image of Jesus is frequently used, but the heart of Christ is seldom encountered.

IMG00597-20120325-1849Last Sunday Wanda and I were in Antigua and found ourselves caught in a crowd of people who were awaiting one of the largest processions of the season. As we were standing there, the float carrying Jesus came past and people snapped pictures. Then we found ourselves being jostled and pushed as people tried to get closer when the float carrying Mary came past. My heart broke as I saw this huge mass of people who were interested in Jesus, but passionate for Mary. It is true that she was a devoted servant of God and He used her for great things, but why do we insist on worshipping and serving created things instead of the creator? (Romans 1:25)

Please do not misunderstand me. We have encountered wonderful Catholics here who seem to love and serve Jesus with sincerity. All do not fall into the trap of religion without relationship. And, on the other side, we have encountered many evangelical Christians who seem to only know religion and legalism. And that is the battle we face, cutting through religion and modeling intimacy with Jesus that changes lives. And that is probably our greatest prayer need. Please pray that we will show and live a Jesus that is so much more wonderful than mere religion and draw people to Him.

DSCF5591And, on a note of praise, I now have my 4-Runner back, and it is running better than it has since I bought it! Juaquim returned it this afternoon and walked me through all the repairs. He explained everything that our previous mechanic did wrong (although he was very uncomfortable speaking negatively of someone else’s work) and gave me the receipts for parts. He also gave me a handwritten receipt showing all of his labor and detailing the complete purchase of parts! (This is almost unheard of here.) I drove Juaquim home and realized that I have about 25 or 30% more power and that the engine is running much cooler.

I praise God for leading us to this honest and methodic mechanic. And I thank God that my 4-Runner (officially dubbed the Batmobile by some of the Guatemalan children) is back in its loving home and ready to take on more Guatemalan roads!

Thanks for all your prayers and support!

Good afternoon from San Antonio Aguas Calientes!

Daryl, Wanda and the Crew