Monday, November 7, 2011

Gifts & Birthdays

As I have lived and ministered in Guatemala over the last nine months, I have been greatly humbled by the giving nature of the families with which we work. So often we arrive at their door planning to help them, only to leave after having them bless us.

Frequently they long to give something back in gratitude for our help. This comes in the form of small gifts, usually from their back yards. I have been given bananas, eggs, plantains, T-shirts, a cold bottle of Coca Cola, and more. Just last month, one family tried to give me a live chicken. I explained that I didn’t have room in my vehicle, so they offered to tie it up tightly and put it in a box. We finally were able to slip out of their home without the chicken, and I think we did so without offending them. I am so humbled by these people who often live in extreme poverty who insist on giving something back.

IMG00478-20110530-1651On Saturday morning, a young man named Cristian showed up at our door. He is the brother of Joni, who lives just up the street and has Cerebral Palsy. We have been helping his family through the generosity of a US sponsor who gives the necessary funds to provide them with food each month. We also fitted Joni for a wheelchair and provided him with a new mattress for his bed.

On two occasions his mother, Marcelina, has broken down in tears and told us that her family (her mother, father, and siblings) doesn’t like Joni and believes he is a curse from God. They have told her to get rid of him. She told us that we are the first people outside their immediate family and her in-laws who have cared about Joni. According to her, we have made them feel less alone.

DSCF8247So Cristian showed up at our house with a hand woven bag made by his mother. She was giving it to Wanda to thank us for caring for their family. Marcelina is a gifted artisan, and the purse took weeks to weave and assemble. It is woven with Mayan symbols that tell a story, and she has promised to tell us the story (once our Spanish is better).

How do you accept such a precious gift of time and talent? With humility and gratitude. This family is so very precious to us, and their friendship is priceless.

IMG00047-20111107-1353Today we went to Joni’s 17th birthday party. We brought the cake and were treated as special guests. His dad’s name is Adolfo, and most of his family were there to help celebrate, including his parents, brother and nieces and nephews. We had a wonderful time with them all. Joni was ecstatic to have so much attention. He and I have formed a special bond and he lights up when I am around (almost as much as I light up when he is around).

IMG00051-20111107-1409So, I am learning that it is impossible to out-give God and it is very difficult to out-give these wonderful people. As I sat across the table from Wanda at the party, I mentioned that I can’t imagine what we would have missed if we had not found the courage to follow this call. I am glad I will never have to find out.

Greetings from San Antonio Aguas Calientes!

Daryl, Wanda and the Crew