Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pray for Gabby

DSCF7386

Today our team went to Los Gozosos to do some work and spend time with the kids. Shortly after we arrived I spoke with Maureen and found out that Gabby is in critical condition at Roosevelt Hospital in Guatemala City. She has had an allergic reaction to her new anti-seizure medication that has caused her skin to slough off about 70% of her body.

I took the news especially hard because I was the one who discovered her petit mal seizures and recommended they take her to her neurologist who prescribed the new medication. My first thought was that if I had just left things alone and my mouth closed she would be fine now. After about an hour-and-a-half of self-flagellation, I actually got quiet and prayed and realized that I did the only thing that I could have done and would, in fact, do again in the same situation. But my heart still breaks for Gabby who is suffering greatly now.

I have been told she has about a 40% chance of survival and the next several days will be critical. If she gets an infection she will not be able to fight it off.

Please pray for Gabby. Pray that God will keep infection away and that the spread of the condition will halt. Pray that God will restore her completely. Pray for everyone who loves her and is hurting for her now. And pray against the enemy who seeks to use these circumstances to discourage God’s people and spread his ugly lies.

Thanks,

Daryl