Wednesday, January 27, 2016

The Long Road Home

Late yesterday afternoon Manuel, Cristina, Gerardo, Katy, Jeremiah and I loaded Angelita's casket into our van and headed out on a 4 1/2 hour trip to Jutiapa. We were returning Angelita's body to her grandmother, who had raised her and her two younger siblings until she could not longer address Angelita's special needs. When we departed we had no idea what awaited us on the other end.

We hit rush hour traffic in Guatemala City, which cost us more than an hour of travel time. but we arrived in Jutiapa shortly after 9:00 pm. We thought that our journey was nearly at an end, but we were wrong. A relative of the grandmother met us on the main road, and we followed him on his motorcycle. And followed. And followed. And with each mile the roads got rougher, narrower and harder to negotiate. We wanted to send a good representation of people from our home to offer condolences and love, so we took the van instead of my truck. If I had know how rugged our journey would get, we would have left some behind and driven the 4-wheel drive.

The night was extremely dark, and I was concerned that my van was going to get stuck, but we continued until we could literally go no further. The final hill was too rocky and the dirt was too loose, so my tires were just spinning. It was decided that we would park and carry the casket the last quarter mile. We were also carrying some food and supplies for the family, so I was very glad that word reached the household and they sent some men down to help.

The last 50 yards were down a narrow foot path that took us into the grandmother's home. The casket was carried inside, and immediately people gathered around to look inside and weep. Wailing is a tradition here, so some of that was for show. But, as I looked around, I saw quite a few faces that seemed to be in genuine anguish, including her grandmother and little brother and sister. We had been swept into the room by the crowd of around 100 people, and we found ourselves behind and beside the casket.

At this point, I addressed the crowd and told them of our love for Angelita and the care we provided for her. I explained that we did everything we could for her, but the Lord decided to take her home and heal her perfectly. I then shared the Gospel with them and encouraged them to know Jesus so they would one day join Angelita. At the end, Manuel addressed the children and encouraged them to know Jesus as well and explained that they could give their lives to Him.

We then stepped outside with the grandmother and spoke with her individually. We gave her money for funeral expenses and hugs were exchanged. And then we started our long trip back home.

We once again walked the narrow paths and rutted road, and found that my van was being guarded by a drunk man. I then had to back the van down the same rutted road in reverse, while the crew walked and helped direct me. At last, we were finally able to turn around and drive the rough road forward instead of in reverse. And 15 minutes later, when we finally reached some paved roads, I gave a prayer of thanks to God.

As I drove home last night, I thought about Angelita's story. I thought about how God took that special little girl from a rural and obscure village, and brought her to us. All along, God was taking her home to be with Him, but He did it on a road that took her right through our hearts and lives. Had He not done so, she would have died in obscurity, with no one but a few neighbors knowing her and her journey. But because of the long road that he took her on, her life and her story is now known by many.

Some of you have met and held Angelita. Some of you saw her smile and rocked her. Some of you cried when you said goodbye. Others of you never had the privilege to know her, but you have followed her story and feel like you do. You have prayed for her and cheered her progress. You have wept for every setback and hoped for the best. And all that happened because God blessed us by letting Angelita's long road home pass by each of us.

I am so grateful to God that He allowed me to be part of her journey. I had one of the greatest privileges of all...I got to be her dad during the final years of her trip. And I am so much richer for it.

This morning, we said yes to receive another child. Actually, we have now agreed to take three additional children into our home and lives. A 1 1/2 year old girl with severe cognitive and physical delays...a 9 year old boy with delays...a 12 year old boy with cerebral palsy...all of them are coming into our lives and family as a part of their long journey home. And I don't want to miss the significance of that. I don't want to miss the joy and beauty of their journey in the midst of the challenges of their road.

All of us are on a long journey home, and we have the privilege of walking it together. For some, that will be a life-long journey at our side. For others, we will cross paths briefly and continue on our way. For still others, we will walk with them for a season and then go our separate ways. But I don't want to miss the significance of any of those people that God allows me to walk beside, whether for a moment of for decades.

Angelita has shown me that every person has an important story, and it needs to be told. But the question is, will I take the time to listen and share their stories? Or will I pass them by, failing to notice and care?

It's a long road home, and we need to walk it together. And, while I miss her deeply, I am so glad that Angelita is now safely home.

Blessings from Guatemala!
Daryl, Wanda and the Crew