Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sponsors Needed

DSCF7820As this ministry has grown, I have had a difficult time keeping up. In the early months of our rural village ministry we were dealing with a handful of families, and it wasn’t a problem for me to keep track of it all. In fact, until we topped 30 families I could have listed from memory every child with whom we worked and what they received, including the names of their medicines.

I remember where I was when that all changed. I was standing outside a family’s home in our town and suddenly came up blank. For the life of me, I could not remember what medicine, diapers or food they were supposed to receive. My brain was officially full, and I could no longer store it all. Fortunately, even in those early days, I did keep written records, so I was able to recover. However, that day I knew we had to change the way we were working.

Thanks to the excellent work of our Ministry Coordinator, April Clark, we have come a long way. Now our calendar and important files are shared online with all our employees. When we add a new family we can add their details straight from our I-pads or phones and the same changes will be seen on all our devices. Our family database, village supplies list, inventory, and supplies order spreadsheet is available online to each of our volunteers and staff. And, even with all of that organization, we have still struggled to make sure families or children don’t slip between the cracks.


IMG_1540.JPG

Just recently we began to implement a Work/Care Order system that assigns responsibilities to staff and assures completion and proper follow-up. The purpose of this is to make sure that we keep the promises we make to families and every child gets the care they need. We represent Jesus, so when we fail to keep our word, we tarnish His image in people’s hearts.

One area that has dragged behind has been our sponsorship program for children. Until now we have not had a single place where the children waiting for sponsorship can be viewed. However, April and I have done a lot of work to change that. Now you can see every child that needs a sponsor by clicking the following link:

Waiting Children

So, if you would take a few minutes to pray over that list and consider sponsoring one or more child, I would greatly appreciate it. I confess, as I look at the list I feel a little overwhelmed, but I know how faithful God is. He provides for His children, and I am confident that he will continue to do so.

Blessings from Guatemala!

Daryl, Wanda and the Crew