Monday, January 6, 2014

Esperanza Is in Jesus’ Arms Now

EsperanzaEsperanza went to be with Jesus this afternoon. In spite of knowing that this day was coming, I still was not prepared.

Wanda and the staff and volunteers were having a time of prayer while the children napped and Esperanza was in her seat close by. At then end of that time, Krishauna went over to pick her up and realized that she was gone. As we have prayed so many times, she went in her sleep without suffering.

At that moment Esperanza saw for the first time, and her first sight was Jesus’ face. She took her very first step, and it was into His arms. I write now with the firm assurance that Esperanza is safe, whole and happy. My grief is rooted in my loss, not in hers, for she has lost nothing and gained everything.

We have all taken turns holding her and saying goodbye. It was hard for me because I have always loved the way she would grasp and play with my fingers while moving her little mouth and tongue. This time her hands and mouth were still, and I could not stop crying. Never has their been a child more beautiful or more loved than Esperanza, and never have I known a deeper grief.

And yet, at the same time, I rejoice. She is now in the arms of the only One I would entrust to take my place as her father. The One who makes all things new and perfect. The One who is holding her and loving her far better than I ever could. She is home. And, for that, I am grateful.

She was happy and content at the end. Just this morning Wanda sat holding her while I worked. She was cooing and “talking” more than I had ever heard before. I want to give thanks to God for taking her in a way that was peaceful and without pain. And I also want to give thanks to Him for giving us the privilege of being her family for this brief time and letting us carry her home. I am truly honored.

God is good, all the time…all the time, God is good. Run and play with Him, Esperanza!

Daryl, Wanda and Family