Tuesday, October 1, 2013

God's Economy




I finally have the time to update my blog. Unfortunately it is because I am once again sitting in another hospital room with another child. This time it is Yeni, who has come down with a nasty respiratory infection. She has struggled with a sore throat and slight cough for the last two days, but this morning she took a sudden turn for the worse. Suddenly her fever spiked to 104 and her heart and respiration rate skyrocketed. When I checked her oxygen saturation I became truly concerned and we brought her to the emergency room. The doctor admitted her immediately and started her on IV antibiotics and breathing treatments. I expect she will be here from 24 to 36 hours while the medicine does its work.

Over the last few weeks my appreciation for the Beyer family has increased significantly. (I appreciated them greatly before, but still it has increased.) They have been such a blessing and asset to our ministry as they are getting more up-to-speed and assuming more ministry responsibilities. Two of their daughters, Kristin and Kathlyn, have become key members of our group home, serving as nannies. They have also agreed to each take a night shift each week, caring for Esperanza and Cristian, who do not sleep well and require special care. This enables us to get some much needed sleep. Even now, Kristen is here at the hospital for another hour or two, helping care for Yeni.

Meanwhile, back at home Dale and Anita are coming down to help Wanda with the rest of the kids tonight. Bedtime is a huge deal in our home that requires feedings, diaper changes, lots of medicine, teeth brushing and more. Their help will allow our older children to attend a special youth event this evening.

Dale has also begun to assume more responsibilities with our rural village ministry. With my vehicle out of commission for so long I was concerned about how I was going to catch-up. Thanks to Dale we are back on track. He played a significant role in our local distribution and then led a trip up to El Progreso. Unfortunately, his vehicle is still out of commission, but another friend of ours who recently moved to Guatemala, Steve Eldred, came along and drove. So, we only had three more villages to visit to complete the rounds. So, last Thursday Dale, his son, Jacob, Gerardo and I headed out for the department of Esquintla to visit those final three communities.




Our first destination was Sipacate where our first stop was at the home of little Dorcas. This little girl, age 7, desperately needed a wheelchair. Her mother has been carrying her everywhere until now and Dorcas is getting big. So they were thrilled when we pulled up with a chair for her.

The process of fitting a chair is usually not a quick one. We begin by checking the child's measurements and adjusting the chair to the approximate position. We then place them into the chair to check the fit and then remove them for further adjustment. It is not uncommon to place them in and out of a chair two or three times until we get things just right. Unfortunately, Dorcas was so excited to have her chair that she got upset every time we took her out again. By the end of the process, when the chair was just right, I could no longer get a smile out of her. I think she was expecting me to take her chair away again!

While we were at Dorcas' house we received a call from one of the social workers at the local health center. We have formed a good relationship with the folks who work there, and they have been a good resource to us while we have tried to be the same to them. They were calling because they knew of a little girl who desperately needed a wheelchair and wanted to know if we would go with them to visit her. We agreed, of course, so they met us at Dorcas' house and we left with them as soon as her chair was fitted.




When we arrived at the home my heart broke. We found Evelyn, age 9, lying back in a baby stroller with her legs draped over the forward bar. They could not afford a wheelchair so they were using the only thing they could find, a second-hand stroller from family members. In spite of her uncomfortable seating arrangement, Evelyn is a beautiful and happy child. As I showed her parents stretches they could do on her and gave them care tips she kept smiling and laughing at me and my weak Spanish. We did an assessment and assured them that we would bring them a wheelchair next month. So, we could use a sponsor for her chair. The cost for a custom chair will be $250.00, so if you would like to help with that, please e-mail me at daryl@hopeforhome.org.




While we were at Evelyn's house, an elderly lady pedaled across the street to meet us. Gregoria is 74 years old and her only means of transportation is a hand pedaled cart. In spite of these carts' favorable gearing ratio, they are not easy to use and require good upper body strength to propel. As a result, she arrived a little out of breath. Dale lubricated the chain and wheels, but we knew that was not enough. So, we took measurements and told her we will deliver a chair next month. She does not require a fitted chair, so the cost will only be $150.00. Once again, if you are willing to help please e-mail me at the address above.




After numerous other visits we left Sipacate and headed up to La Gomera where a motel room was waiting for us. We arrived in good time and decided to cover a couple of families before we checked in for the night. One of those visits included Jeferson and his family. He is 3 years old and has a foot that turns over as he stands on it. As a result, he walks on the side of his foot. There are no ortheopedic problems in his bones, so we believe that he just started standing and walking on it wrong when he was little. Now the outside tendons are stretched badly and his foot turns in. We have had him in to Hermano Pedro and paid for a brace for his foot. Unfortunately, he doesn't like to wear it and takes it off, while his mother seems to think she is powerless to stop him. We need to have him fitted for twister cables to correct the inward twist of his foot, but I was not willing to do so until I was assured that she would make him wear both the brace and the cables. I do not want to spend the money on something that will sit in the corner of their home. So, we had a heart-to-heart talk.

I don't like these kinds of talks. I much prefer a friendly visit that ends with hugs. But we explained to Jeferson's mom that if she doesn't make him wear his brace he will likely be crippled for life. We also told her that she is his mom, she is bigger than him, and she needs to lovingly discipline him because it was what was best for him. I felt like we were not making progress with her until I mentioned that I have two children who wear AFO's (Ankle and Foot Orthodics) and they don't like them either. But, as their dad, I love them enough to make them wear them. That seemed to break through to her and she promised that she would make him wear his brace. So, we are proceeding with the next appointment to fit the twister cables.

We arrived back at the hotel just in time for a downpour that was harder than any I have ever seen. A 10 foot dash to the hotel overhangleft us looking as if we had just left a shower. But we had a bunch of supplies and equipment in the back of my truck with only a thin tarp covering it (I am still waiting for my truck cap to be completed), so we re-entered the downpour to move the items from the back to the cab. Before we were done we were all thouroughly drenched, along with most of the items in my overnight bag. Of course, three minutes after we finished this job it stopped raining.




We got a decent night's sleep and headed out the next morning for more visits. One of the children I was most concerned about was Katerin. This young lady is malnourished and depends upon the formula we provide. She also needs the medicine we bring each month to control her seizures. Because of our vehicle problems it had been 7 weeks since we last saw her, so I was anxious about what we might find. I was thrilled when we found her doing well, but her parents were greatly relieved to see us again.

That afternoon we headed home via Las Palmas (where we visited six families) and pulled into our courtyard in time for supper.

Recently I was asked by someone why we do what we do. He just could not wrap his mind around why we would want to invest in children and people with special needs. It was an alien concept to him. And, sitting here in a hospital room for which I don't know how I will pay, I can understand his confusion. Why would we choose to surround ourselves with hospital rooms, wheelchairs, braces, medicine, therapy, etc.? In some ways, it would be nice to embrace Dave Ramsey's concept of stewardship that includes savings accounts, investments, retirement and thorough planning for all eventuality.

But God has a different economy. His economy tells us not to worry about things like food, drink and clothing, but instead focus on seeking God's kingdom and righteousness. In so doing, let Him take care of those other things.

Not only that, the least of these, such as the ones that surround us, have great value in God's economy. That is why His Word tells us repeatedly to care for them. And, in so doing, we care for Jesus.

In addition, by caring for these priceless ones, I better understand a profound truth...I, too, have special needs. Mine may be easier to hide, as they do not manifest through wheelchair, braces and severe cognitive needs (although many may question that last one). But they are no less profound and they are ugly. They show up in my pride, selfishness and anger. And my special needs wound others. As I care for these children I better realize my disabilitiesand my desperate need for grace.

But, you know what? I do what I do for a much more selfish reason. I love these children and these people. They are, quite frankly, some of the most awesome folks I have ever met. They have joy, peace and unconditional love that makes me want to be like them. They are some of the best friends I could ever have. And they make all the hospital rooms, bills, wheelchairs, braces, medicines and appointments more than worth it.

Blessings from Guate!
Daryl