Monday, August 19, 2013

Cancer

burning-churchThe other day I had a fellow Christian tell me, “Go easy on the church. It’s the only one we’ve got.” I had to smile when he said it, because I understand his meaning. At times, I can be very critical of the American church, to the point of making some wince. I am very outspoken about the materialism, self-centeredness and shallow discipleship that frequently characterizes churches in the US. So, allow me a moment to clarify with the following points:

  1. I speak as a part of the problem. – For almost 20 years I served in leadership positions in Stateside churches, first as a youth pastor and later as a church planter and pastor. It breaks my heart to say it, but during much of that time I modeled the very characteristics I now despise. I was frequently self-centered, materialistic and shallow in my discipleship. As a result, the churches under my care were as well. I wince when I think back on the missed opportunities of those years and wish that I could have a “do-over.” If I was given that chance, things would be very different. But, since that is never going to happen, I can only change the present and the future. I have learned (and continue to learn) from my sin and desperately want others to learn those same lessons sooner rather than later.
  2. I love the church! – I believe the church of Jesus Christ holds the hope of the world. I believe that within it lies the capacity to change the world, both physically and spiritually. I recognize that since the church is filled with imperfect people, such as myself, it will never be perfect in this life. I do believe, however, that it can do and be much better. And because I love it and bear part of the responsibility for its current state, I feel a passionate desire to call it back to the biblical standards of discipleship and stewardship. Sometimes I do it loudly with fire in my eyes, but I do it out of love.
  3. I speak not of the church specific, but of the church in general. – As I write and speak about the failures of the church I am not talking about every body of believers. I know that there are good congregations that do not fit into the stereotypical churches with a 2% conversion rate and 8-10% giving to missions. I know that there are missional churches in the US that are filled with disciples who lay down their lives and their pocketbooks for the sake of Jesus and His kingdom. I praise God for them and pray that their numbers will increase. However, when you look US churches AS A WHOLE the numbers and reality are discouraging. Instead of growing through the making of new disciples and influencing the culture around us, we are diminishing is size and impact. A few churches buck this trend, but the large majority are living examples of the decline and the unbiblical priorities that have caused it.
  4. Serious conditions require drastic responses. – If your doctor realizes that you have cancer, what response would you want from him? Should he give you a pat on the shoulder and some ibuprofen and tell you everything will be fine? Or would you want him to be honest and lay out a plan for aggressive treatment? As I speak with most people regarding the state of the church, the general consensus is that everything is, overall, good. Sure, we could use some work in a few areas, but everything will be fine. Every time I have those kinds of conversations my mind goes to another church which felt the same:

"To the angel of the church in Laodicea write: These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.”

- Revelation 3:14-19

Those are hard words. In fact, some might be tempted to say that the speaker (Jesus) didn’t love the church in Laodicea because He spoke so harshly. But nothing could be further from the truth. He saw the cancer in his bride and He addressed it.

If we truly love the church we have to be honest about the cancer that exists within it. We have to recognize that we have allowed the culture that surrounds us to shape it more than Scripture. We have to look, not to the cultural understanding of what the church should be, but to the Word of God to determine our true condition and then allow God to do the work required to conform us into His image. In many case, I believe this will require a tear-down and rebuild, but the results will be worth it.

It is so easy for us to divorce ourselves from the church and speak of it in third-person. But, in reality, we are the church. So, as we seek to address the cancer in the church we must start with ourselves and our own families. Are we modeling true discipleship and biblical stewardship, or are we living the American interpretation of those things? If the entire church was a macrocosm of our lives and priorities would it be healthy, caring about the things for which God cares? If not, let’s start in our own hearts and own homes and let it spread from there.

Okay, that’s enough! Thanks for letting me clarify and share my heart!

Blessings from Guate!

Daryl