Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day by Day

Once again, I realize that too much time has passed since my last update. As a result, I find myself overwhelmed with trying to catch up. But here is a day-by-day summary of the last 12 days in a format that will hopefully not turn into a novel.

Friday, September 23

DSCF6789Dick, Scott, John, Gerardo, and I made it home safely from our three day trip. I will withhold my normal critique of Dick’s driving since I was having some back spasms that day and he kindly chose to drive gently as a result. (By gently I mean that he hit the speed bumps at only 60 kilometers per hour instead of his normal 80.)

Saturday, September 24

This was a rest and recovery day after a very long week that included four days on the road in villages. It was nice just spending time with the family and having some fun.

Sunday, September 25

DSCF8159After worshipping at our church (Iglesia del Camino), we returned home and celebrated Jonathan’s seventh birthday. Presents and cake ensued and another milestone was passed. It is hard to believe that almost 4 years have passed since we completed his adoption from Guatemala.

In the late afternoon I drove into Antigua to meet Alejandro’s family. You may recall from my last blog that we found this little guy in Las Palmas. He was struggling with low energy and his lips and fingers regularly turned blue. So, we arranged for him to come to Hermano Pedro and be evaluated. Because of the family’s long trip by bus, they came in on Sunday and I helped them get accommodations in Casa de Fe. This is a free facility that provides lodging for families who are receiving treatment at HP.

Monday, September 26

IMG00962-20110930-1212I met Alejandro’s family at 6:30 in the morning and showed them how to begin the process in HP. The process is a series of long lines and long waits to see the necessary doctors. Once I got them started, I left them to take care of several responsibilities in the Antigua area, checking in with them frequently.

Finally, at 12:30, they were able to see a doctor. He quickly determined that Alejandro has asthma and prescribed several expensive medicines that totaled over $100. I was thrilled with the diagnosis because IMG00956-20110926-1327I had thought he probably had a heart problem that would require surgery. However, I was also overwhelmed with the monthly cost required to deal with his asthma. However, I am pleased to report that God has already blessed us with the necessary monthly sponsors to pay for his medication! God is faithful in His provision!

The doctor also prescribed two inoculations for Alejandro. After going to several pharmacies with no success, I finally had to place an order through a local hospital and made plans to bring them out to him later.

Tuesday, September 27

Two weeks earlier, while doing our monthly food distribution in Santa Catarina, we met a man whose son had been paralyzed in a fall four month previous. He had asked if we could come meet him and help with his care. So, on Tuesday we finally found the necessary time to go for a visit.

IMG00960-20110927-1058When we arrived, we found Elgar lying in his bed. His fall had paralyzed him from the waist down, and he had developed pressure sores on his feet and buttocks. After looking at the sores, I realized that they were not severe, so I showed his father and brother how to make saline, clean the wounds, and bandage them. We also provided him with an air cushion for his wheelchair to better distribute the pressure.

One thing that I am learning slowly is how careful I have to be in regards to medical advice. Thanks to Dick’s careful mentoring, I am beginning to understand how dangerous it can be to offer medical counsel or treatment. It is easy to begin to think that I know more than I do, and that can lead to serious problems. If I offer medical advice, treatment, or medication and a person worsens or dies, I can be held responsible legally. Plus, in certain areas, I could quickly find myself and the other missionaries targeted and the ministry shut down in the entire region. And, even if the treatment is entirely successful, we can find ourselves overwhelmed with medical needs brought to us.

As a result, I have backed way off in what I am willing to do medically. I quickly explain that I am not a doctor and refer them to one, providing the finances when necessary. I only give treatment to the most minor of bedsores or wounds when other options are not feasible. Please pray that God will give me the wisdom to understand my limitations and know what I should and should not do in helping.

Wednesday & Thursday, Sept 26-27

These were not my most favorite of days. If you know me, you know how much I hate office work. Sitting at a desk in front of a computer is not my favorite way to pass the time. However, if you are going to serve as Director of a ministry, it is a necessary evil. I have decided not to provide pictures of me pulling out my hair.

DSCF8170Thursday was also another birthday as Jeremiah celebrated his 11th. We had a good time of presents and cake. I think his favorite gifts was the Philadelphia Eagles jersey that we found in the Paca (used clothing section) of the market.

On Thursday afternoon, I went into Antigua with Jeremiah to pick up the inoculations for Alejandro. At that point, my plans for Friday changed as I realized that the injections were packed in dry ice and had to be given sooner rather than later. So, a last minute trip to Las Palmas was planned for the next day.

Friday, September 28

I woke up extra early to finish my office work and then drive to Pastores to meet Ron and Bob Ecklebarger. Their van needed work, so they followed me to my mechanic in Chimaltenango and I gave them a ride home.

I rushed back to my place, where Dick met me and accompanied Brittney, Carissa, and me to Las Palmas to deliver Alejandro’s vaccines. He had to install and new controller for Sergio in San Lucas, which was very close to where we were going. So, we decided to carpool together (with me driving this time). I am getting concerned with Dick’s age, because he complained so much about my rough driving. He must be getting senile because the drive in my Forerunner was smooth as silk.

IMG00963-20110930-1213Dick and I discussed the two shots Alejandro needed and decided it would be best for us not to give them. While both of us have given lots of injections, we don’t want to give the perception that we are medical professionals or be held responsible if something goes wrong. So we found a nurse who lives in the same town who was willing to administer the injections. This was a wonderful blessing as we realized that the nurse was the grandmother of a young man with whom Dick had worked in the past. He had gone to camp a couple of years, and his grandmother was more than willing to give the shots at no charge. Alejandro was a trooper and accepted the shots with very few tears.

IMG00968-20110930-1413We left Las Palmas and drove to San Lucas where Dick installed a new controller on Sergio’s chair and we visited for a while with the family. His mom makes a mean glass of lemonade, and we had fun playing with his younger sisters.

We left San Lucas ahead of schedule, thinking we would get home early. That illusion was crushed when we found ourselves stuck in standstill traffic due to a multiple vehicle wreck. That, combined with some heavy downpours, delayed our return considerably.

Saturday, October 1

For some time I have been needing to return to El Progreso to visit with three families we have been assisting. Due to an overwhelmed schedule, it had been three months since my last visit. So, Bob Ecklebarger, Gerardo, Jeremiah, and our friend, Alba, loaded up early and headed out. Alba’s parents live in El Progreso, so this was a good opportunity for her to have a rare visit with them.

Once again, we were making excellent time only to suddenly find ourselves sitting in standstill traffic due to road construction. (Are you starting to catch a common theme to driving in Guatemala?) This delay was only a half hour, so we considered ourselves very blessed.

We arrived at Alba’s parents house late morning and had a brief visit with them. We then left Alba there and headed out to visit with our three families.

We stopped first at Orefina’s house to check on her and her daughter, Iris. Iris had struggled with frequent headaches and dizziness, and the family thought it was related to the brain tumor that was removed 2 1/2 years ago. She had been taking expensive medication to help. In June, Coral Matus, a doctor from the States, stayed with us and examined her. She quickly determined that Iris was dehydrated and told her to drink more water. We found out on Saturday that her headaches and dizziness were now gone. That was a very simple and inexpensive cure.

Orefina has been struggling with a variety of health problems, the latest of which is a chronic kidney infection. We encouraged her to go back to the doctor soon and then just visited for a little while. We concluded our time with prayer.

IMG00972-20111001-1228From there we went to Carmen’s house. She has two older daughters who suffer from cognitive delays and epilepsy. We provided them with some Kids Against Hunger food packets and vitamins and then prayed with them.

IMG00973-20111001-1255Our final stop was at Olga’s house. I seated her in a wheelchair in June following a stroke that had left her weak on one side. I wanted to check to see if the chair needed any work and see how she was doing. We arrived to find that she had recently gotten out of the hospital after a 15 day stay. She had undergone surgery and was no longer able to walk at all. As a result, she is spending the entire day in her wheelchair.

Concerned about pressure sores, I told her that we would return in a month and provide an air cushion for her chair. We realized that the whole ordeal had taken a toll on the entire family, so we took some extended time to pray with them all. When we were done, I was ready to rush away, but Gerardo stopped me. He recognized that her daughter was caring extra hurt and wanted to pray especially for her. When he asked if it was okay for us to have special pray just for her, she broke down crying and readily agreed. I am so thankful for Gerardo and his sensitivity to the Holy Spirit’s prompting.

We returned to Alba’s parents and had a late lunch with them. I am pleased and surprised to report that the trip home was uneventful.

Saturday evening we had Alba and her family over for supper, but the night didn’t go as planned. Her husband, Cesar, is a police officer in Antigua and was scheduled to come over at the conclusion of his shift. However, he was held at work late, and by the time he was done, the rain was pouring down and streets were flooded. Alba received a call that his truck, along with countless other vehicles, we flooded and stranded on the road between Antigua and Ciudad Vieja. So, we loade Alba and her kids in the Forerunner and headed out to find Cesar.

We connected with him in Panarama, pushed his truck to the side, and drove them all home through some of the most flooded streets we have experienced to date. I once again found myself praising God for His provision of our 4-wheel drive vehicle.

Sunday, October 2

Another rest day. I fell asleep in front of football and nearly slipped into a coma.

Monday, October 3

IMG00983-20111003-0835This was a special day. We met little Walter at Hermano Pedro where he received his brand new leg braces. You might recall that we found him in Escuintla with pressure sores on both his feet from ill fitting braces. We showed his mother how to care for them and instructed them to leave his braces off. We also provided a wheelchair so that he could have some mobility through the process.

IMG00982-20111003-0835Two weeks ago, he was cast for new braces and today was the big day. I wish you could have seen his face when he walked for the first time in six weeks! His mother, stepfather, and grandmother all cried and hugged Wanda and I. We explained that the braces were provided by a family in the US and that all the thanks belongs to Jesus. This is just one example of what you sponsorship of a family can do.

While we were there, we also had Joshua and Kimmie cast for new braces. They have both outgrown and worn out their old ones and are past due.

Tuesday, October 4

I am typing this blog sitting in a Nissan dealership waiting on an oil change for the van. I will leave here, go to Antigua, and do banking and pay bills. Not a fun day for me. But, though it all, God is good. Even in the midst of Guatemala City traffic.

Blessings from Guatemala!

Daryl, Wanda, and the Crew