Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hanging Out the Shingle

Over the last couple of weeks things have been very busy. In addition to having my parents-in-law here for a visit, I have also been busy with the purchase of the new 4-wheel drive vehicle and arranging for the necessary modifications to get it ready for trips into the villages. Those things, combined with the work to prepare for our summer teams and a pretty nasty sickness, have left very little time for anything else.

DSCF7069However, I did find time for one addition project. While Dale and Anita Beyer and their family were here Dale offered to make a sign for our front gate. Using some wood we had on-hand, he hand-carved the Hogar de la Esperanza logo on both sides and then stained and painted it for us. The result was quite beautiful. Once the project was completed it took me a little while to purchase the necessary hardware and take the time to actually hang it, but late last week I finally got it done.

DSCF7072When we moved here I was determined to wait to hang any signage outside our home. There are a lot of missionaries who move here with pre-made signage and literature advertising their new ministry, even before the ministry is in place. And all too often, the advertisements never become reality. I did not want to be that guy. I was determined to wait until we were known to our neighbors as people who care and love them before hanging any sign. I felt that we needed to earn the reputation as a “home of hope” before hanging a sign that made the claim.

Recently we were told by one of our neighbors that we were a blessing to the community and viewed well by those living around us. I was deeply humbled and moved by those words. Before we moved we were told that it would be difficult for us to be accepted here as gringos living in a Mayan community, yet we have been warmly received from our first day here. And, after hearing those words, I knew we were ready to hang our sign.

So, the home that we dedicated to the Lord now has a name in the community…Hogar de la Esperanza (Home of the Hope). Please pray with me that we will live up to the words on that sign.

Good afternoon from San Antonio!

Daryl, Wanda and the Crew